Skip to main content

Head Start

CAPRW Head Start: Where Children and Families Learn, Grow, and Belong.

Compassion ● Belonging ● Resilience ● Commitment

What is Head Start & Early Head Start?

Community Action Head Start is a no-cost child and family development program for pregnant individuals and families with children ages birth to 5 years old living in Ramsey County. Services focus on school-readiness skills to prepare children for kindergarten by utilizing developmentally-appropriate and social-emotional curriculum.

Our staff speak multiple languages and we encourage children to learn their home language as well as English. Children who have an IEP/IFSP and different health needs are welcomed and included in all program activities. 

Early Head Start is a home- and center-based program for pregnant individuals and children ages birth to 3 years old. Community Action Early Head Start's family-driven philosophy empowers parents and caregivers to support and nurture their children. Our  program empowers families to build their capacity and competencies to be their child’s first and most important teacher.

Check out our four-star Parent Aware rating and explore other Parent Aware resources!

Program Options For Eligible Families

Program Ages Hours Additional Info
Early Head Start Home-Based Birth-3 & pregnant individuals Weekly 90 minute home visits
Early Head Start Infant Center-Based 6 weeks - 16 months Monday-Friday 7:30am-5:30pm *Funding required
Early Head Start Toddler Center-Based 16 - 36 months Monday-Friday 7:30am-5:30pm *Funding required
Head Start Preschool Extended Day 3-5 years Monday - Thursday 8am-3:30pm or 9am-4:30pm Transportation available
Head Start Preschool Full Day/Full Year 3-5 years Monday-Friday 7:30am-5:30pm *Funding required
SPPS/Head Start Pre-K Partnership 4 years by September 1st Varies by site Transportation available through SPPS


*CCAP or Pathway 1 funding required for EHS center-based and HS full day/full year

All program options include free meals, family fun and parent engagement events, diapers and wipes (if age applicable), and support from our family services and health teams.

Am I Eligible?

You must reside within Ramsey County and  meet at least one of the following:

  • Receiving Public Assistance (SNAP, MFIP, or SSI)
  • Foster Care child
  • Experiencing Homelessness (lacking fixed, regular, and adequate housing)
  • Living at or below the current Federal Poverty Guidelines (see below)
Family Size Family Income
1 $15,060
2 $20,440
3 $25,820
4 $31,200
5 $36,580
6 $41,960
7 $47,340
8 $52,720

*For families or households with more than 8 persons, add $5,380 for each additional person. 

How Do I Apply?

Applications can be submitted electronically or in-person.

In-Person Applications

The Community Action Resource Center is open for drop-in applications, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m to 4:30 p.m. However, we recommend making an appointment before stopping by. To make an appointment Monday through Friday, please call 651-603-5977 to speak to an Enrollment Specialist. Our staff will be available to answer any of your questions and help you complete your application. If you would like to print an application and fill it out at home, please follow the link below:

Please complete the online application below, print off and mail in a paper application, or call the Enrollment Hotline at 651-603-5977.

Online Applications

Find out more about CCAP!

Find out more about Pathway One!

If you have any questions about scholarships and funding, contact our Subsidy Administrator, Elizabeth Sherman at or call at 651-248-2595.

Submit Early Childhood Screenings and other data requests here!

What Else Do I Need?

Head Start/Early Head Start requires some documents to complete your application. Sending these documents to us will make the application process go faster.

  • Proof of child’s birth date (copy of birth certificate, medical record, ID, etc.) 
  • Proof of income 
  • Public Assistance Letter for MFIP, DWP, or SSI 
  • SNAP EBT Card or SNAP Case Number 
  • Proof that the child is a foster child 
  • Proof of a family’s homeless status 
  • Income documents like W2, 1040, child support payments, or paystubs 
  • Your child’s immunization records or a signed exemption letter
  • Physical Form
  • Dental Form
  • Notice of Privacy Practices

Like us on Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn

Annual Report & Community Assessment

Learn more about how critical Head Start Preschool and Early Head Start are for our community, and how we are taking action with our neighbors to improve children's lives:

Head Start Main Office 

Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Community Action Resource Center, Suite 5
450 Syndicate Street North
St. Paul, MN 55104

* Community Action is an equal opportunity provider.

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling 866-632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or

833-256-1665 or 202-690-7442; or


*This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Our Impact This Year

  • People Who Received Utility Bill Assistance


  • Children Enrolled in Head Start & Early Head Start


  • People Whose Utility Bills Were Lowered Through Home Weatherization


  • Workers Provided with Transportation Support Including Vehicle Loans, Repair Grants, and Transit Passes


© 2024 Community Action Partnership of Ramsey and Washington Counties

Powered by Firespring