Car Ownership Program
We provide a low-interest loan up to $6,000 to help you purchase a car and we guide you through the car buying process.
In the past ten years, Community Action has issued more than 500 car loans to low-income people, helping people get to work, drive to medical appointments, and take their kids to school.
Am I Eligible?
If you do not already qualify for a car loan at a reasonable interest rate through another lender due to a lack of credit history, limited income, or short employment history, you may be eligible.
Community Action will require you to go through an interview process, which involves a credit and budget review, and you must meet the following requirements:
- Live in Ramsey or Washington County
- Have a continuous work history of 6+ months at a minimum of 20 hours per week
- Provide recent documentation of monthly income
- Have a valid Minnesota driver’s license
- Provide proof of “full coverage insurance” prior to loan closing date
- Household income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines
All eligible applicants will be required to complete a short online financial literacy course before completing their application. This course can be completed on a smartphone, tablet, or computer. If the applicant does not have access to one of these devices they can make an appointment to use our on-site computer lab.
Meeting eligibility requirements does not guarantee a car loan.
How Do I Apply?
All Car Ownership Loan applicants must schedule and attend an intake appointment where they will be screened for eligibility.
For more information or to schedule an intake appointment for the Car Ownership Loan program please contact us at email@example.com or 651-603-5880.
“Everything went smoothly and my car was ready in one day. I can’t thank Community Action enough. Help was there when I needed it most. Not once, but twice!”
- Jacqueline, Car Ownership Program Participant