Community Action is currently suspending new applications until April 29, 2022. Please check back then to apply to our Car Ownership Program.
Car Ownership Program
We provide a low-interest loan up to $6,000 to help you purchase a car and we guide you through the car buying process.
In the past ten years, Community Action has issued more than 500 car loans to low-income people, helping people get to work, drive to medical appointments, and take their kids to school.
Am I Eligible?
If you do not already qualify for a car loan at a reasonable interest rate through another lender due to a lack of credit history, limited income, or short employment history, you may be eligible.
Community Action will require you to go through an interview process, which involves a credit and budget review, and you must meet the following requirements:
- Live in Ramsey or Washington County
- Have a continuous work history of 6+ months at a minimum of 20 hours per week
- Provide recent documentation of monthly income
- Have a valid Minnesota driver’s license
- Provide proof of “full coverage insurance” prior to loan closing date
- Household income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines
All eligible applicants will be required to complete a short online financial literacy course before completing their application. This course can be completed on a smartphone, tablet, or computer. If the applicant does not have access to one of these devices they can make an appointment to use our on-site computer lab.
Meeting eligibility requirements does not guarantee a car loan.
“Everything went smoothly and my car was ready in one day. I can’t thank Community Action enough. Help was there when I needed it most. Not once, but twice!”
- Jacqueline, Car Ownership Program Participant