Skip to main content


BLOG: Working Together

More Minnesotans than Ever Qualify for Energy Assistance

As we enter the holiday season and another winter encroaches, it is imperative that we ensure all our neighbors are safe and warm in their homes. During the 2021-2022 heating season, more Minnesotans qualify for the Energy Assistance Program than ever before. Eligible households – which include those at either 60% of the state median income or 110% of the federal poverty guidelines – can receive up to $1,600 to pay their energy bills, while some households may also qualify for an additional $1,200 to cover past due balances and avert utility disconnection. 

Moreover, individuals and families receiving energy assistance can now also request help in paying their water bills. And of course, energy assistance participants are eligible for home weatherization improvements through our Energy Conservation Program. Weatherization services increase energy efficiency, reduce utility bills, and make homes safer. Community Action’s Energy Conservation Program also provides free emergency repair or replacement of a broken or damaged furnace.

If you live in Ramsey or Washington Counties and need help paying your energy bills, please call Community Action’s Energy Assistance Program at 651-645-6470, via email at, or visit our Energy Assistance webpage. This page enables you to download and application, check eligibility guidelines, and access other helpful links and services. You may also pick up an application at our St. Paul headquarters (450 Syndicate Street North, Suite 122) or our Washington County location in Oakdale (1101 Geneva Avenue North), Mondays through Fridays, between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm. Please note that due to current COVID-19 safety protocols, a maximum of eight guests are allowed in our program lobbies at a given time. Therefore, you may be asked to wait or schedule an appointment for a later time. Protective masks are also currently required for walk-in assistance at all Community Action locations.

And, for those residing in other Minnesota counties in need of energy assistance, please contact the Minnesota Department of Commerce at 651-539-1500, or visit their energy assistance page to request an application and/or find their local energy assistance provider.

Our Impact This Year

  • People Who Received Utility Bill Assistance


  • Children Enrolled in Head Start & Early Head Start


  • People Whose Utility Bills Were Lowered Through Home Weatherization


  • Workers Provided with Transportation Support Including Vehicle Loans, Repair Grants, and Transit Passes


© 2022 Community Action Partnership of Ramsey and Washington Counties

Powered by Firespring