Skip to main content


BLOG: Working Together

Energy Assistance Season Kicks Off with Expanded Eligibility

The 2021-2022 Energy Assistance Program season kicked off on October 1. And the expanded eligibility guidelines that were first introduced this past summer will continue in the new program year, meaning more Minnesotans now qualify for energy assistance services than ever before. Moreover, eligible renters and homeowners can now apply for assistance with their water bills. All told, program households can receive: 

  • Up to $1,600 to pay your energy bills (plus, some households may qualify for an additional $1,200 to cover past due bills and avert disconnection)
  • Help paying your water bills 
  • Free weatherization improvements to your home to increase energy efficiency and reduce future utility bills
  • Free emergency repair or replacement of a broken furnace  

All these services are available through a single application. If you a resident of Ramsey or Washington counties and need assistance paying your utility bills, please contact Community Action’s Energy Assistance program at 651-645-6470, email us at, or visit our Energy Assistance program webpage at to download an application, check eligibility guidelines, and access other helpful links. 

You may also visit our St. Paul headquarters (450 Syndicate Street North, Suite 122) or our Washington County office in Oakdale (1101 Geneva Avenue North) to pick up an application. Please note that due to current COVID-19 safety protocols, a maximum of eight guests are allowed in our program lobbies at a given time. Therefore, you may be asked to wait or schedule an appointment for a later time. Protective masks are also currently required for walk-in assistance at all Community Action locations.

In addition to utility assistance, energy conservation, and emergency furnace repair/replacement, Community Action’s Energy Assistance Program can provide Ramsey and Washington County residents with crisis intervention, energy advocacy, outreach and support to vulnerable populations, information on consumer rights and responsibilities, and referrals to other community programs and services. For households in other Minnesota counties that are in need of energy assistance, please call 651-539-1500 or visit the Minnesota Department of Commerce online to request on application and/or find your local service provider. 

Our Impact This Year

  • People Who Received Utility Bill Assistance


  • Children Enrolled in Head Start & Early Head Start


  • People Whose Utility Bills Were Lowered Through Home Weatherization


  • Workers Provided with Transportation Support Including Vehicle Loans, Repair Grants, and Transit Passes


© 2022 Community Action Partnership of Ramsey and Washington Counties

Powered by Firespring